Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Running Shoes... What to wear?



(This is only 3 pairs of the 5 pairs of shoes I currently have. At one point I have over 10 pairs.)

What is the one thing that shoe companies have in common... To sell as many shoes as possible and at the highest price possible. All over America I see new shoe companies popping up all over the place stating that they have the "LATEST IN TECHNOLOGY" when it comes to running shoes. When in the end... They don't. It is just another way to squeeze more money out of the consumer.

90% of Americans do not compete at such a high level that they need really expensive shoes. All you really need is something that is comfortable and durable. Without getting into specific brands this is what I look for...

1) What does the shoe look like: Can I wear it outside without attracting too much attention to me.
2) How heavy is the shoe: When I put it in my hand it should almost feel as thought I have nothing in my hands. Heavier is not better. The shoes today are being made lighter which will take the strain away from the legs for those that run long distances.
3) Does the shoe have arch support: Most shoes today don't. Especially the really high priced ones believe it or not. I have found that the lower more economical shoes have enough arch support for my needs and most of Americas needs.
4) Is it the latest make in the market: If so I put it back. Today's shoes are not made well and are just too high priced.
5) How much does the shoe cost: Have you ever found that a 25 cent pen , in most cases, out lasts a really expensive pen? Well the same with shoes. The more expensive is not better in most cases it is the opposite. You can get shoes for $45 or $50 dollars that will wear very well and out last your $125 pair of shoes.

Did you know that even the athlete that competes on the highest level possible doesn't even buy their own pair of shoes. And those are usually custom designed for them. Take your track runners, especially your elite sprinters. You would think that they would spend $1000's of dollars on shoes. Nope... not even close... THEY ARE FREE. You spend more money on your shoes then they will ever.

My point is this... If they are not spending a lot of money on their shoes and they wear them much more than you will ever, why should you spend a lot of money on shoes. My experience has shown me that the shoes that can be bought off the rack at your local Kmart is just as good as going to a shoe store and buying those $150 pair of shoes and in the end much more economical.

No comments: