Sunday, May 11, 2008

It’s not broken, so let’s fix it

When I was in the financial markets I noticed that there were many people that started out very strong but after a few years just seemed to disappear. Why was that? I had lunch with a very successful insurance agent. He had been in business for over 20 years and he had grown his business 100 fold in that time. I asked him why it was that he was so successful and his colleagues were not or just plain struggling. His answer astounded me. He told me that he has not changed anything since he first started working in insurance. He still made his 300 dials a day. Still tried to see 4 to 5 new people a day and still came to work every day at the same time.
With that in mind I then went out to lunch with a friend who worked on Wall Street in one of the Fortune 500 brokerage houses and asked him the same question. Funny thing though, I got the same answer. I then spoke to a business man and asked him the same question and again, funny enough, he stated the same thing.
What do all of these people all have in common? No, they are not stuck in a rut but something even more astounding. They found a formula that worked and stayed with it. Now in the case of each one of these people their minimum requirements, for clients, did go up but how they got them did not change. Because of that they are where they are today.
Many of you have asked me, months ago to help you achieve certain goals in your life and what frustrates me is that as soon as we find that plan that works for you want to change it with the hopes of “making it just a little better”. Once you reach that point I know for certain that your goals will never be achieved. Why, you lose focused and once your focus is gone so goes your drive. Without drive there is no push for you to succeed.
In January many have come to me with specific goals and for three months they really worked on achieving them. Now the weather is getting nice and they are beginning to lose their focus. “Instead of running on the treadmill, I’ll just walk around the lake” or “I did gardening outside today so I don’t have to go to the gym and workout”. How many times have we heard this and then come September those same people are back in the gym with the same issue and no better off.
Yes, I know that working out every day or three times a week can get boring and sometimes you do need a break, however, let’s look at this logically. If for three months (January, February and March) the program you were on was working and you were losing weight and feeling better about yourself. Why then would you change what worked just because you got a little bored? Success comes in the everyday grind. It is in the consistency not the periodic change. You may need to increase the intensity a little but keep on keeping on and you will reach your goal and there will your success be.

No comments: