Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Be careful of where you get advice

“My friend tells me that because I am big boned that I can never get down to a size 6.” Mary said to me the other day.

“Oh yea, who is she?” I asked

“Oh she is a friend that I was talking to the other day about weight loss and fitness stuff.” She says to me looking very confused and depressed.

“Is she a doctor or a trainer?” I asked trying to figure out who this lady was and her credentials.

“No she works in day care and we are just friends. She tells me that she works out every day in the morning for about 2 hours at her house.” She says to me.

“Well what does this lady look like?” I asked trying to get more information about her.

“Well she is a little shorter than I and about my build. She says that I probably won’t get any thinner than I am right now and I am a size 14 now.”

“Oh really?” I said with the biggest smirks on my face. I was thinking to myself at this time that the blind is leading the blind. “Tell me more.” I said to her trying to hold back my opinion, which you know is quite difficult for me some times… Ok all the time.

“She thinks that you push me too hard and that I don’t need to be pushed so hard. Hey, do you think I can get down to a size 6?” Mary asks me as if looking for some sort of positive reinforcement.

“I don’t know. Can you get down to a size 6?” I asked her looking for some sort of a response.

She pauses for a brief moment and then says, “I just asked you that question. Do you think I can get down to a size 6? Everyone tells me that I can’t because of my size and bone structure. I just want to know if you agree with them or not.”

“So if I hear you right you are asking if I think you can get down to a size 6 from a size 14 as you are now. Am I right?”

“Yes I am. What are your thoughts?” She asks me.

“What does it matter what I think. Do you think you can do it?” I told her looking at her in her eyes.

“I don’t know I am so confused. I don’t know what to believe anymore.” Mary says to me with tears beginning to swell up in her eyes.

“Ok let me put things into perspective for you here. Here is a lady who is about your height and about you size who works out 2 hours a day, everyday…” then I stopped and said, “will you be seeing this lady tomorrow and if so at what time?”

“I should be seeing her at around 8am. Why do you ask?” Mary asks me with a very confused look on her face

“I want to invite her to Parkers Place for a general work out. Just us the three of us spending a little quality time together.” Yea there was a reason why I was doing this… read on.

That next day they both come bounding into Parkers Place and I was introduced to her friend. Well Mary was right just about the same height and build. “So I hear you work out 2 hours a day. That’s excellent! I think you could be a great inspiration for your friend and this is why I wanted you here to work out with her and to get an idea of her routine.” OK so I told a half truth. But I was serious about the inspiration part though.

“Thanks. Yea I work out just about two hours a day. Mostly on cardio stuff such as treadmills and bikes. I don’t do much with free weights though.” She says to me.

Well to make a long story short after she told me that I decided to give them a cardio based work out emphasizing cardio conditioning. It consisted of lots of running and lots of jumping jacks, squats and push-ups as well as crunches. As we started this work out, it became increasingly obvious that someone was lying to someone. After the first 10 minutes her friend was spent. After 20 minutes she was sweating profusely. At 30 minutes she made a b-line to the women’s room holding her stomach and mouth. Mary was shocked and amazed at the fact that this friend of hers was so out of shape.

“Hey, I think you should check on your friend and see if she is OK. She has been in the bathroom for 10 minutes now.” I said to her and yes I was concerned.

Well a few minutes later Mary comes out with her. “She is ok, she threw up.” Mary says.

“I think you should go take her home now. We will call it a day.” I said to Mary.

“Kevin, I’m just getting warm, let’s finish up. How much longer is the work out?” Mary says to me.

“It is only about 10 to 15 minutes that all.” I looked at Mary in astonishment. I was surprised that she wanted to finish it but we went on and she completed the final series while her friend sat in a chair looking pretty tired. After she was done they left. “See ya tomorrow Kevin same time.” Mary yells to me as she is leaving. I waved and told Mary and her friend to have a great evening. I just knew I was never going to see her friend again.

The next day Mary comes in to work out. She walks right up to me, “Thank you for yesterday. I had no idea on how out of shape my friend was and how much more in condition I was compared to her. We had a long talk yesterday in the car when I was driving her home and she told me that she thought you were a terrific trainer. I did learn one thing though. I learned that I have to be very careful on what advise I take from my friends. After working out with her yesterday, can I tell you something that has to stay between us?” Mary comes closer to me.

“Yea what?” I asked

“There is no way she could be doing 2 hours a day. That workout you gave us yesterday was not even close to any of the other workouts you have given me in the past. That was a very easy work out. Thank you for the eye opener.” She then squeezes my right arm with her left hand. “Now to answer the question you asked me the other day. I now know that I can do anything I put my mind to doing. I can get down to a size 6. I can get in better condition. I just have to stop listening to my friends and get it done.” When I looked at her the focus she had was motivating even to me.

I guess now we will see what happens.

No comments: