Sunday, February 28, 2010

Keith Zwahlen

It was brought to my attention that a dear friend of mine has passed away. Over the last year I have had a lot of issues in my life but compared to Keith... I have had no problems. You see, my friend Keith had Cerebral Palsi (CP). I remember him in High School. He play with me in the marching band, he was a very hard working guy. Nothing and I mean nothing came easy to him. Guys we take so much for granted... Imagine going thru your whole life fighting and battling a disease that in the end you will die from it's complications.

To me and so many other people Keith (aka Pete) was just another person and when you talk to him he just conveyed himself as a normal person and you know what... you believed he was. Imagine going to band practice and marching for 5 or 6 hours. Imagine playing an instrument while marching in cold or hot weather. Or standing at attention for an hour so that someone can inspect your uniform. For the average person that would be hard. Well Keith did it and enjoyed it. I had and will always have a lot of respect for him.

I remember going to Atlantic City with Keith because The Lakeland Regional High School band was playing and this was really big to us. We just didn't do well... I believe we won. There were so many times, while in high school, when we would be in a marching band contest and I remember all those wins and all those good times after. Pete, I never told you this but you inspired me to do as well as I did my senior year in track, and now if I could give you anything, it would be my perfect Senior year season. Thank you Pete.

I remember graduation and when you went up to get your diploma if you recall... you were the only one that got a standing ovation. The whole class, all 300+, were proud to know you and your accomplishments. You walked up there so proud and we were proud of you.

Pete, I know that your final years were not good ones. I know that life got really hard for you. I know that you felt as if you were dealth the "crapy hand of life", but just know that I truly love ya guy. I am sorry that I did not have much contact with you after gradutaion, but you have been on my mind. You will always be on my mind. Thank you for your friendship. May God rest your soul. See you on the other side Pete.

No comments: