Monday, January 26, 2015

Regulating our food is not the answer

I know that I probably told a lot of people that I would never just give my opinions without some backup research about any topic I write about, so let me first start by saying that I have, for the last 11 years, worked with and listen to many people when they have talked about their health and I have now come to a point where nothing is being said any different than 11 years ago.
I have heard, “I have tried every diet in the book and at first I lose a lot of weight only to gain it back after a while.”
I have heard, “I am just big boned.”
I have heard, “I have tried that exercise thing and it just did not work for me. I just don’t have the time now.”
I have heard, “I know that if I get that ^&*$ surgery, it will do the trick and I will finally get this weight off and get healthier.”
I have heard, “I know that if I stop eating so much I will lose the weight I need to. It is my portions.”
I could go on but what would be the point. I know that everyone has used these excuses and probably think that they have made up a few new ones. But let me just put this out there… It doesn’t matter how much you try and regulate you’re eating habits, you cannot get healthy.
Here is the problem, food is a fuel. Nothing more than that, it is just a fuel. It helps sustain life and gives us the energy to get thru each day. Without it we will die. It is not the foods fault that we are the way we are today. It is our sedentary lifestyles that have gotten us here. The average person sits behind a computer screen each day for at least 4 hours. Oh, you don’t believe me? OK, the next time you go to work watch how long you sit at your desk doing paper work and using your computer. We try and think that if we just stop eating, we won’t have the issues we have today.
There is a lady at the gym that thinks that if she eats she will gain too much weight. This lady is really thin, almost to the point of anorexia. She thinks all food is bad for her. However she comes to me that other day with a concern, she has noticed that her energy levels have dropped and she gets tired very quickly. “HELLO!” I said to her. Then I asked her a question, “When was the last time you had a substantial meal?” She tells me that she had lunch and told me what she had, then I finished my question with, “and without throwing it up afterwards?” then she looked at me and shook her head and walked away.
By not eating, we are slowing our metabolism down and causing our body to store a lot of the food we eat daily. Regulating our fuel intake is not the solution to the problem. It is USING the fuel we eat regularly that is the ultimate solution.

No comments: