Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Great News!!!!!!!!!

Great News!!!!! It’s about time!!!!

I was watching my favorite show on television Mad Men (Sterling, Cooper, Draper & Price) and in the latest episode the agency decides to never work with cigarette manufacturers (Lucky Strike American Tobacco). According to their reasoning, it was mainly because of the health risks associated with cigarette smoking and they could no longer feel good about helping tobacco companies make money, while understanding that tobacco smoking caused cancer. Good for them!

Now I know that Mad Men is not the reality of the world as we know it today however my wife tells me today that CVS has decided to STOP selling cigarettes in all of their stores. Their reasoning was that if they are going to be known as a health and wellness place they cannot sell something that is known to be the opposite. Good for them! They also went on to say that the profits associated with the selling of cancer sticks is not worth it. Well I can tell you that I have a lot of respect for them and will go out of my way to spend my money at the local CVS stores.

OK so let’s get some facts out of the way here:
Fact: Cigarette smoking does cause cancer.
Fact: Cigarette smoking ruins your teeth.
Fact: Cigarette smoking ages your skin.
Fact: If everyone who smoked saved those dollars, they would save over $2000 a year and this is for a one pack a day person.
Fact: If someone stops smoking they WILL gain at least 40 pounds in 6 months regardless of who much exercise they do.
Fact: Nicotine has a half life in our bodies and it takes much longer than just 6 months to get rid of in our bodies.

CVS is doing something that I am hoping many more corporations do. They are understanding that they can still make money and do well for the public and they don’t need to sell their soul to do so. My hope and my prayers are that soon enough no corporations will sell cigarettes and tobacco companies will have to go out of business. For years they have killed billions of people and regardless of how much good they say they are trying to do, their main profit come from cancer sticks and they are not willing to give that up.

Good for you CVS!

No comments: