Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Wellness

Wellness

Wellness, one of those words that, well, has such a broad definition. Webster defines it as; the quality or state of being healthy in body and mind, especially as the result of deliberate effort or an approach to healthcare that emphasizes preventing illness and prolonging life, as opposed to emphasizing treating diseases.
I like the second definition because it emphasizes a pro-active approach. But do we really understand what is meant when you say wellness? Most people think sub-consciously that if they are in a wellness program that they are getting healthy or are already healthy, even though that have not changed a thing about their dietary habits or activity.
Health insurance companies get it though. In all their research they have concluded that people that take care of themselves have fewer incidences of major claims. In their research they have concluded that these people tend to have less sick days and fewer workers comp claims. Insurance companies are beginning to get it so much that some are even paying their insureds to go to gyms and work out. Here is the kicker though, some people are so lazy that they choose not to participate in their companies wellness programs. They would rather get sick and have the insurance company pay for that than for them to work out hard so that they can play even harder.
I look at it this way, if an insurance company told me that they would be paying for me to work out, I would make it a priority. I only see an up-side for both parties. First off I am getting paid to have fun and secondly the insurance company is collecting more from me than they are spending out. As an example, this year I believe the insurance company only spent $300 on me and that was because I got my annual physical. Now take into consideration a single premium of $150 a month which is $1800 a year and then take into consideration the $20 per month they gave me for working out, they still net $1250 for the year. Now I know that sounds really simple but I look at it this way, for the year they had my money for them to give me back $550, I win also.
Now take into consideration that some people have their companies pay for most if not all of their health care, however, the insurance company will only reimburse the member, which is a clear $240 a year (at least) given to you just to play after work. REALLY! Why aren’t more people taking advantage of this? The answer… WE’RE LAZY!
In this next year, let’s try and get off our butts and get in the game of wellness and get in better shape. It could benefit you physically and monetarily. Think about it.


No comments: