Friday, August 3, 2007

It’s OK to be Second

“You can’t win all the time.” “ Just let them have fun.” “Let’s not ruin it for the kids”. “Billy doesn’t look happy, let’s let him win.” “Why try, I’m going to lose anyway.” “What’s the point in practice, I can do this with my eyes closed.” I can go on and on but let’s just spend a few minutes on this topic.

In a nutshell, this is what is wrong with America’s youth today. We are not challenging them enough to see them succeed in whatever endeavor they take part. We, as their parents, are settling for just making Johnny happy and not helping him go the extra mile to achieve even beyond what you can be imagined for him.

I am faced with this dilemma. I have three children and as their father I know what each one is capable of doing, whether it is in sports or academics. I know that if we, as parents, settle for just finishing or just getting good grades then that is all we are going to get.

Don’t you want to see your children exceed even further then you? How about being in the top ten in their high school class? Or being the best athlete on the field in whatever sport they are in? Or being both respected by their peers and showing respect for their peers in everything they do? Do you think these aspirations can be achieved by just getting by? I don’t think so.

We all have busy schedules. I work 15 hours a day, but always find time to spend with my children. It is draining most of the time but the benefit for doing this is priceless when their teachers tell me that they wish they had more kids like mine in their class, or coaches say they are needed on the field because they are one of the best athletes out there.

Our kids look to us for guidance. They have no clue what it is to succeed until we tell them that they can and them help them achieve their goals. Let’s not settle for just putting them in front of PS2 or the TV. Get them up, point out their strengths and help them find something that they like (outside of doing nothing) and then make them winners. Don’t let them settle for second place!

No comments: